Motichoor Ladoo

Motichoor Ladoo are traditional North Indian sweet made specially festivals.Thee ladoos are made of  very small gram flour balls or boondhi which are deep fried in oil or ghee then simmered in sugar syrup till they absorb the syrup. The preparation for Motichoor ladoo is same as Boondhi Ladoo. The word Motichoor literally translates to crushed pearls and honestly we think their couldn't have been a better name for the delicacy. Originally associated with states like Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh these ladoos were also easy to store in the torrid temperatures and wouldn't go bad for days.

To make today's recipe I didn't have the mootichoor ladoo ladle, so used the regular boondhi ladle to make boondhi. Just to make the pearls / boondhi to small size I have added the boondhi to mixer grinder and gave it  just 1 pulse. And then added to the syrup. Motichoor ladoo ladle are easily available in India, as I couldn't find it here in US managed to prepare this delicious sweet with my regular ladle.

Today's recipe goes to the 3rd day of Blogging  Marathon 93 under the theme " Diwali Sweets and Savories". Here goes the recipe...........





Ingredients:


Besan / Gram flour 1 cup
Pinch of salt
Sugar 1 cup
Elachi / cardamom powder 1/2 spoon
Pistachio chopped 1 spoon
Water 1/2 cup
Oil for deep frying
Motichoor ladoo making ladle


Preparing Boondhi :


In a  mixing bowl add besan / Gram flour , salt and baking powder.
Add water little at a time to make smooth batter like dosa batter ( not too thick or too thin )
Heat oil in deep frying pan.
Once the oil is hot take a ladle full of batter and drop it in the boodhi ladle.
Tap the boondhi ladle so that boondhi drops into oil.
Fry for 45-50 seconds and remove.
Repeat the process till all the batter is finished.
Add all the boondhi to mixer grinder and give it just 1 pulse. 




Preparing Sugar Syrup:


Add 1/2 cup water to sugar and bring it to boil.
Once the syrup reaches 1 string consistency turn the flame to low.
Now add the fried boondhi to syrup along with  cardamom powder.
Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
Switch off the flame and let the mixture cool down completely.


Preparing Ladoo:


Add chopped pistachio to the mixture and mix well.
Grease your hands with some ghee or oil.
Take a table spoon full of mixture and give it a round shape like ladoo.
Enjoy with your family and friends.



Check to see what my fellow bloggers are cooking for Blogging Marathon 93.



14 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Dunno y i havent tried motichoor laddoos at home yet, those laddoos looks damn cute and dangerously addictive. Excellent diwali sweet.

Harini R said...

Those laddus look stunning and sinful. Very festive too. Perfect for Diwali.

Gayathri Kumar said...

I have always wanted to make motichoor ladoo but never did it because I couldn't find the special ladle here. Your ladoos look awesome Sushma.

Unknown said...

That's a classic dessert for any special occasion. I love it always..

Srivalli said...

I love this motichoor ladoo and is the only sweet I love from store apart from sonpapdi of course. This ladoos tiny motis are hard to get at home. you have got it done so well!..great share.

Pavani said...

LOVE this moist and absolutely delicious motichooor laddoo. Love your idea to use regular size boondhi and lightly grinding it to make them smaller. Will have to try these some time.

Sowmya :) said...

Mothichoor is a classic and yours have turned out so drool worthy. Wish I could grab some off the screen now!

Suma Gandlur said...

Seems like you have nailed the festive treat. Yummy laddus.

code2cook said...

wow, we love motichur laddu, making at home looks like a bit tedious but the outcome is worth trying. I am planning to make on Diwali this year. your looking delicious.

Ritu Tangri said...

Motichoor ladoos are my daughter's favorite and she keeps on pestering me to make some. I'm just dilli dalling it. Now your post is tempting me to make some for her and please her. Thanksfor sharing

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

I have wanted to make Motichoor ladoo for such a long time and always been putting it aside. This is my personal favorite and I need to give this a try soon!

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

beautifully done sushma, motichoor is my elder ones most favorite, though i have tried the regular boondi ladoo, these are yet to happen in my kitchen, you have made it perfect, looks rich and delicious!

Archana said...

Looks perfect! Motichor ladoo is my favouite too but I doubt if I will ever make it.I will drool over what you have maade! :D

preeti garg said...

This looks so fresh, tasty and perfect ladoo.. one of mine fav sweet.