Chinta Chiguru Pappu / Tender Tamarind Leaves Dal

Chinta Chiguru or tender tamarind leaves are mostly available early spring  during months of April-May. The young and tender tamarind leaves have tart and sour flavor. Because these leaves are only available during spring, people usually dry the leaves under sun and store to use later throughout the year. These leaves are typically used to make dal and also added to meat, chicken and even shrimp  just like sorrel leaves / gongura. 

I remember my grandma used to make amazing dal with these leaves. We used to enjoy this dal  with some freshly made mango pickle and homemade fryums / papad. Its been almost 20 years I guess, me eating chinta chiguru. Am not sure if we get these leaves in USA, but one of my friends mom had bought these leaves from India when she visited her. I have freeze the leaves and totally forgot about it. Thanks to quarantine, I have been hunting and emptying all the groceries at home.


This is a very common dish from Andhra Cuisine. This recipe goes to week 2, day 3 of Blogging Marathon 111.





Ingredients:


Toor dal 1 cup
Chinta chiguru 1 cup
Green chili 3
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Chili powder 1/2 tsp



For tempering:


Udad dal 2 tsps
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Curry leaves 6
Red chili 2
Garlic cloves 4
Oil 2 tbsp


Preparation:


Wash the tender tamarind leaves and pat dry them.
Wash toor dal and presser cook along with green chili for 3 whistles.
Once cooked mash the dal add 1 cup water, turmeric powder, chili powder and salt to taste.
Mix well  and set aside.
In a large deep pan heat oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chili, garlic cloves, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
Now add tamarind leaves and saute for a minute.
Add the dal mixture and mix.
Adjust salt to taste and cook further for 7-8 minutes.
Serve hot with steamed rice.




Check to see what my fellow bloggers are cooking for Blogging Marathon 111.




7 comments:

Suma Gandlur said...

Lucky you got hold of fresh variety leaves. I am sure you enjoyed kammati chinta chiguru pappu.

Sowmya :) said...

I have been trying to empty out the pantry and freezer as well. And it’s so good to find a rare ingredient like this. That's such a delectable pappu

vaishali sabnani said...

Absolutely amazing , I have never heard of tamarind leaves being used like this . I bet this dal mst be do delicious .

cookingwithsapana said...

Never knew we could use tamarind leaves in cooking. Dal looks so comforting and tasty.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

that dal looks delicious sushma!!! Ihave seen a tamarind tree, never knew the leaves can also be cooked, looks tempting!

Harini R said...

I really envy you. Lucky that you were able to lay your hands on chinta chiguru. Love it to the core.

Narmadha said...

I never know tamarind leaves can be cooked and this looks so delicious dal.