Alasandala Guggilu / Blackeye Peas Sundal

 Navratri is just around the corner and each state has their own way of celebrating Navratri. Offering different food to goddess, fasting, decorating golu and inviting friends for all 9 days. We prepare 9 different varieties of food / naivedyam each day  to goddess Durga, who takes different avatar each day. 

Today I will be preparing guggilu / sundal with blackeye peas. Black eye peas are packed with plenty of fiber and protein into each serving. They are also a good source of iron. Adding blackeye peas to your diet is a great way to boost weight loss.

This recipe goes to day week2 day 1 of Blogging Marathon 117 under the theme " Navaratri Special ".





Ingredients:


Alasandalu / Blackeye peas 1 cup

Slit green chilies 3

Curry leaves 6

Red chili 1

Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp

Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp

Chana dal 1 tsp

Grated coconut fresh / frozen 1 tbsp

Chopped cilantro 1 tbsp

Salt to taste

Oil 1 tbsp

Lime juice 1 tsp ( optional )


Preparation:


Wash and soak blackeye peas for 5-6 hours or over night.

Presser cook with enough water for 1 whistle.

Drain the excess water and keep aside.

In a frying pan or sauce pan heat oil, add mustard seeds.

Once mustard seeds splutter add cumin seeds, chana dal, curry leaves, red chili and slit green chilies.

Saute for a minute for two.

Add cooked peas, salt to taste and mix well.

Cover and cook for 2 minutes on medium flame.

Now add chopped cilantro and grated coconut.

Mix and switch off flame.

Add lime juice at this point of time if you want to. 

Serve hot.



Check to see what my fellow bloggers are cooking for Blogging Marathon 117.




6 comments:

Radha said...

Sushma, This is my favorite and the picture is awesome. It's tempting.

vaishali sabnani said...

Black eyed beans are full of nutrition and this is a wonderful way to serve them . I am sure the flavours are super delicious with coconut in it . Perfect dish for the festival .

Harini R said...

For a very long time I didn't like these black eyed peas. A few years ago I tasted a gravy sabji at a friend's house and I am now a convert. I am sure guggillu will taste just as amazing.

Srividhya said...

One of my favorite sundal. I love black-eyed peas and this is my favorite way of having it. Great share.

Rafeeda AR said...

Black eyed peas is one of my favorite dry beans, I haven't made it in such a long time! I am sure I will totally devour this sundal, absolutely delicious!

Suma Gandlur said...

Good one for Navaratri. A protein packed dish which is fit for neivedyam or to serve as a filling and nutritious snack any day.